While many people prefer to hibernate during the cool winter months, we think winter is the time to feel alive, brave the elements and wrap up warm to experience nature in all it’s beauty. Check out our top things to do in Rotorua in the winter:
Hot soak at Polynesian Spa
Feel alive mountain biking through forest
Native forest tour at Rotorua Canopy Tours
Fill your tummy at Eat Streat
Warm up with a walk around Blue Lake
Rotorua Canopy Tours is an amazing outdoor activity for the cooler winter months
There’s no better place in New Zealand than Rotorua to be in the outdoors during winter. The town’s beautiful forests, lakes and nature-based experiences make it the ultimate destination to get outside to feel more alive in the winter months. Its natural geothermal energy means that there’s always a naturally heated hot pool waiting for you after a day’s exploring – bliss!
The Rotorua Canopy Tours team spends a heap of time in the forest and in the great outdoors throughout the year. We’re experts when it comes to knowing how to craft an awesome winter weekend away, so we’ve put together five reasons why you should come and visit Rotorua during the winter months. Get inspired!
Five awesome reasons to visit Rotorua this winter:
- We’ve got beautiful, naturally heated hot pools! It goes without saying that Rotorua’s hot pools are a real treat in winter time especially at Polynesian Spa. It’s a pretty unique way to recharge wary bodies after a morning exploring the great outdoors.
- Get on your mountain bike. Winter means lush, emerald-green forests and trails without the crowds! With over 100km of trails to explore just minutes from the city, it’s no wonder Rotorua is developing a reputation as one of the best places to mountain bike in the world.
- Fly through the forest on a Rotorua Canopy Tour. Winter is simply stunning in the native forest, with every fern, tree and plant is at its lush green best. If you want fresh air in your lungs and an adventure you won’t forget in a hurry, this is an eco adventure you don’t want to miss!
- Discover Eat Streat – Rotorua has undergone a resurgence in its restaurant scene over the past couple of years – probably driven by the high standards that are set on Eat Streat. Walk down the street and find a great bar or restaurant, warm the body up and taste what Rotorua has to offer.
- Go walking: In winter, it’s a bit too cold to jump into a lake, but why not take a scenic walk around one? Follow the Lake Rotorua walking trail, visiting Sulphur Point and the Redwood Forest and see Rotorua at its geothermal best.
Rotorua really does makes for the ultimate winter weekend away. Immerse yourself in nature with a forest canopy tour, a walk around the lake, or a morning of mountain biking followed with a soak in a naturally heated hot pool – bliss! Take it from the locals - there’s so much to see and do in winter in Rotorua.